The sun is coming up more often and the temperature has risen…
PANIC MODE: ON!
All of you boys and girls are probably thinking of the extra kilograms sitting on your belly, definitely not matching your swimsuit! So you run to the supermarkets buying all the diet foods there is; you take out that gym membership you never used; you search the net for some diets: There’s chaos all over the country. Well, I say no need to panic. You still have around 10 weeks to get that super body before swimsuit season!
There’s no magic spell that can turn you into those Baywatch babes. However, a combination of a personalized diet, tailored according to your needs, and the right physical activity can make it happen.
The first mistake people make in this situation is engage in a very low calorie diet: it’s fast and efficient. Well, not really! These types of diet will make you lose muscle mass instead of fat and the weight loss cannot be maintained on the long run. For optimal results, you should go for a balanced diet with the right amount of calories, carbohydrates, fat and proteins.
- Have at least 3 meals a day
- Don’t skip breakfast because it helps you keep a high metabolism all day.
- Have fiber-rich foods such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains. They will make you feel full for a longer period of time.
- Go light: when available, choose low fat products such as milk and dairies; go for lean meats; stay away from fried foods; skip fast foods, etc.
- Drink lots of water.
- Have healthy, low in sugar snacks: instead of chocolates, cakes and cookies, go for fruits, yogurts or cereals.
There are two stages for the physical activity
Stage 1: Fat burning
First you need to lose the extra fat by doing cardio training at least 3 hours a week: walking, swimming, treadmill, elliptical trainer, jogging, cycling, lifting light weights with numerous repetitions (15-20) etc.
- If you’re a beginner, you can gradually increase your activity from 15 minutes a day until you reach 3 hours a week (at least).
- If you don’t have much time on your hands, you can split your workouts into twice a day.
- Take advantage of the nice weather and the longer days to engage in outdoor activities. They’re much more fun!
- Be active in your daily routine: skip the elevator, park your car a bit far from your destination and walk, help with the housework, etc.
Stage 2: Muscle building
When you increase your muscle weight, your metabolism goes up! So after losing a considerable amount of fat, you can start lifting high weights with low repetitions, doing abs, pushups, etc. This is the best way to maintain the lost weight!
I believe that this is the perfect timing for dieting.
Why? Because you have the motivation you need to stay compliant to your diet. Just imagine how good you will look in that swimsuit! You can picture that every time you reach out for a food item or you decide to skip workout and it will get you back on track.
At times like these, it is always important to have a support system. Choose someone, could be a friend, a family member, a colleague, to help you stay on the right track, remind you of your goals and keep encouraging you. And of course, don’t stress out! It will only lead to binge eating!
If you have the slightest doubt you can’t make it on your own, then don’t waste any time! Call your dietitian NOW, take an appointment, and she will make it happen for you!